Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Art Walk: Birth of a New Consciousness $28,000!!

My friend and I also talked about this one. He said that the painting is about duality and how having a conscious is good and bad. He believes that the left side represents malevolence while the right side represents benevolence. I slightly agree, but believe it is more complex than that. The malevolence isn’t really malevolence per se, but a more logical mechanical process. It is neutral. It sometimes leads to malevolence, sometimes it does not. This is why the person is being sprayed with light. The other side represents growth and love. It is also neither good nor bad, but neutral. Growth and love isn’t always good because one can grow to become something sinister and love can turn into obsession, which isn’t good either. This is why the light coming from the right side seems to darker and painful.

My friend didn’t know what the masked meant or why there was a hole in his chest. I thought the mask represented the consciousness itself. People do not have to follow their consciousness regardless of what it says. It is like a mask you put on. As for the hole, having consciousness is a burden and the hole can represent that burden. My friend ended up agreeing with me.

The subtly of the duality in this portrait is interesting because it is not a regular duality being displayed. It is a duality of Ying and Yang, but the opposites found in the opposing colors are more than tiny dots. It is neither graceful nor elegant, but a fierce painful growth. If it wasn’t for the lighting on the human body, the complexity of the right and left side would go unnoticed. It would also fit more with my friend’s initial interpretation.

I'm not sure if there are any general criteria here, but In terms of taste-set I doubt this painting will sell for $28,000. My friends and I liked it, but not enough to pay $28,000. Maybe if it were around 100 or so. We both understood that this was a form of modern art, but we had no idea if it was a piece that was redone or a first of its kind. We also don't understand why it is worth $28,000. I guess that mystery will remain unsolved.

No comments:

Post a Comment