Sunday, February 7, 2010

Art Walk:The Secret

This was done by Leslie A. Brown: The Secret

I decided to post this because I think the tattoo is supposed to be a representation of a virgin. If it is, then this portrait reminds me of the contradiction that women generally go through. This image has the virgin/whore dichotomy. Women are suppose to be "virgins/innocent" and are not really able to express their sexuality without being whores. In this portrait the women, are rather sexual and they are positioned in seductive manner. I suppose the tattoo could be something of the scarlet letter imposed onto women. Thinking about the title, makes you wonder what the big secret is. It is the contradiction about women? Is it about a lover? Are they lesbians?

In terms of taste-sets I think this is a really good portrait. It says so much using only a tattoo, seductive position and some wine. The colors are not exaggerated making it seem like a casual occurrence. There is nothing out of the ordinary, but thanks to the symbols, a contradiction arises. I suppose one could say the contradiction is tastefully done in a delicate manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment