Monday, February 8, 2010

Getty Museum part 1 of 3














When I got to the museum the entrance shocked me. I was in shock at how huge it was and what it lead up to. It was really windy and I felt like I had just entered some sort of epic town or city. It was sort of awkward because I do not have those kinds of experiences. Then people walked past me and the experience was somewhat ruined. I returned to my senses and walked up the stairs. After that, I guess I saw the “court yard” area. It almost seems more like a luxury resort, than a museum. Especially, when I saw things like the garden.


It was full of eating areas and grassy fields that you can lounge around in. I saw a couple of people taking small naps in the picture to the right. That was the last thing I ever expected. Then it occurred to me that even though the place was really nice, it is sort of a waste of money. I’m pretty sure the place didn’t need to be that big and there was a lot of empty space. I’m sure the space part of the aesthetics of the place, but I figure the money could have been reallocated to aid some poverty stricken country. In the end using the money to create empty space, isn’t worthwhile. The epic feeling completely left me and I was back to my usual self.


The first place we went to was Rembrandt exhibit (they didn’t allow pictures). The exhibit presented us with an opportunity to redo the master and pupil exercise we performed in class. I was sort of excited because I did rather well in class. So, I went along my way trying to figure out who the master/pupil was. I failed at most of the attempts. After, my seventh or so try, I noticed that the master was always on the left side, while the pupil was on the right. After I found that out, the exercise no longer became interesting because I already knew which one was which. However, failing to guess the right portrait suggested that having general criteria wasn’t always accurate because the criterion always switches between different portraits. However, this is expected because each portrait emphasized different things. I then moved onto the next gallery and found an artist I liked— Theodore Gericault. To part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment